Friday, October 28, 2011

LRF 27/10/11

Finally got out this week after what seemed like a
month of shit weather high winds and heavy rain
really dirtied up most of my bass marks so lrf
was my other option one which i have to say has
overtaken hrf big time for me i got to my first mark at dead
low tide slight colour in the water and a small swell
so i decided to try for some wrasse but they just werent playing ball
no matter what lure or presentation i used so i tried for some polllock instead
by slowing retrieving a worm over the rocks and seaweed around the mark this
turned up a few fish up to about 2lb




I had 8 or 9 fish like these all pretty much the same at the 1.5lb to 2lb mark , i decided to scale down and do a bit of rock pooling for some other species turns out there was plenty of scorpion fish around and a few 
blenny's 





that was all for the daytime so home i went after an enjoyable session to refuel for the night 

I headed back out just after dark conditions were nice but it has really started to cool down alot  now
it was only 3c last night arrived at the mark a nice little quay and fished the walls for as while and had plenty of micro coalfish and a few up to 1lb mark good fun 



I didnt count how many of these i had some on little pieces of sandworm lures or 2" paddletails from 
jackslrf great little lures with a nice big paddle on the end
I fished like this for about an hour but then the water exploded with fish to my left so i cast out into them 
and picked up a herring another first for me lrf which is nice i fished these for another while with the shoal moving in and out of the harbour i must have had 20 at least the biggest of which being 11-12" smallest being 6" but great crack on the lrf gear the bigger ones put up a good fight but they are almost impossible to 
photograph as once they are out of water they just dont stop moving 






i only took photos of one herring as it was the only one to stay still for a second.
Well that was it for the night an enjoyable 2 sessions and my first night lrf trip
for a while.

Tight lines

Jay


















4 comments:

  1. Good to see some Pollock still around Jay.

    I might not put my rod away just yet!

    Danny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty of fish still around Danny , i never put my rod away lures all year round

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Jay. Noticed in your pics your tying you jigs on tight as such, we found a huge increase in fish at night if we used loop knots to attach the jigs and give them that bit more freedom to move. Could be worth a go mate.

    Best, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great write up Jay. Good to see Herring being caught. I was raised with the "belief" those things can only be caught on the fly. Sometimes it's really great to see these old myths dispelled :)

    ReplyDelete