Friday, January 4, 2013

First post of 2013

Let me start by wishing all the readers of this blog a very happy new year and thank you
all so much for reading and commenting during the last year.

I havent been out in a few weeks now a combination of Christmas and some very poor weather
conditions, really put pay to any plans I had to fish.
Today however I managed to get out and fish for a few hours on a local rainbow trout fishery.

I started out rigging a curltail grub on a standard jighead of 2g and slowly retrieving with some pauses and twitches but nothing. I changed colour several times and varied the jighead weight, the retrieve and the depth
the lure was working at, but still nothing. I tried various different soft plastics and techniques, dropshot, texas, carolina and splitshot rigs all without a sniff of a fish.

So after an hour or so of trying with soft plastics I decided to move onto metals, I tried a couple of vibration
baits with a little interest in the form of a couple of follows but no takes. I then rigged up a 4g metal wobbler  with a barbless single and after a few casts I had my first fish on the bank.


A small rainbow to start but at least it was a start and my first fish of 2013.
I continued to fish with a slow lift and draw technique and continued to pick up fish on the drop with
the stamp of fish improving with some nice fat fish landed.







I went for a quick bite to eat and then back to the trout with more taking the lure




The last trout was the biggest of the day and it sure was a fat one



It was a slow start but it turned out to be a very enjoyable day with almost 40 trout landed.
A great way to kick off 2013 and a very enjoyable session

hope you enjoyed the read

tight lines

Jay

4 comments:

  1. Love the blog, keep it up! What setup were you using?
    Thanks
    Rory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rory sorry for not replying sooner ...I was using a graphite leader Tiro GOTS-762L paired with a 2506 Daiwa Caldia and 4lb Sunline Super FC

      all the best and tight lines

      Jay

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He sure was, the lure must have went straight past its mouth. I doesnt look like the sort of trout that likes to move .....lol

      Delete