Friday, February 1, 2013

A blustery day in January......

With what seems like an unending barrage of terrible weather
battering the whole country, turning the sea to what can only be
described as 'coffee soup' and every river around in full flood.

My mate Phil suggested that we could try the canals for Perch and maybe the odd
rogue Pike.

So we made a plan to hit the canals today which meant an early start and a two hour drive
I met up with Phil this morning and we hit the water , He fished a dropshot rig and I was fishing
a jig head we moved up and down the canal fishing all around the various boats and other bits of
structure but no Perch so we moved on to another mark.

We arrived at the mark and split up with me fishing one side and Phil fishing the other side of
the canal. I saw that he had a nice little perch and another so I decided to move over and swop
from jighead to dropshot rig with a HTO mini stick in pearl blue and second cast I was also into a little perch


This particular lure seemed to work really well with another few perch falling to it




Philip was also catching fish but he no sooner had the fish in and it was back in the water so no time for
photos.

I then got hit by a better fish ....


a new PB of about 1lb not big but I was very happy. After that the fish soon went off the feed and we
decided to move again

With us both sticking to dropshot and Phil still remaining camera shy we continued to get fish




It continued like this with the fish coming on and off the feed until I got hit by a real train of a fish
which stripped line and really put up a great scrap



A new PB fish of over 1.5lb ....with which I was thrilled

A super days fishing one which I thouroughly enjoyed especially considering the conditons
which were at times almost gale force winds with a good mix of hail , showers and thunder all thrown in for
good measure

I have to also say a big thank you to Philip Fox who invited me up and very kindly showed me around his various perch marks.


Philip looking extremely pleased with his new enormous PB pike in the only photo I got
of him for the day........


Anyway I hope you enjoyed the read as much as I enjoyed my day

Tight lines

Jay

2 comments:

  1. very nice :) in Portugal he weather is so bad that I am forgetting what is fishing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning red fins on the P.B - Well done lad!

    ReplyDelete