Thursday, February 28, 2013

A quick update.....

I've not been out a whole lot lately with work unfortunately taking priority
over fishing.

I did get out for a quick cast the other day which resulted in a nice little scorpion


I also had a plan for some wrasse today. I spent 5hrs searching every gully , nook and
hole I could think of along the coastline, I've come to the conclusion that its just that little
bit too early in the year for them yet as I never even got so much as a touch from a wrasse all
day. I did however pick up one very colourful scorpion fish



This must be one of the most colourful Long Spined Sea Scorpion I have ever caught. As you can see from
the photos it has lovely pinkish red markings on its fins along with a bright yellow underside with vivid white markings.
The markings got me thinking do these fish brighten up their colouration for breeding , if so is this a male
fish trying to impress a female?? In the same way some male birds grow lavish plumes during the breeding season.

That was it for the daytime fish a very poor day but I still enjoyed being out none the less.

I moved on in the evening to a local pier and began to fish a dropshot rig and was instantly rewarded
with a nice little rock goby


A few casts later resulted in another


I continued fishing and moving along the pier and noticed a large shoal of small fish
patrolling the shadow line on the water so I rigged up a size12,  1g jighead  and small piece
of gulp rag in white and cast in front of the shoal which resulted in a mini herring


Must have had another 15 or 20 of these little fish in the space of 45mins or so. I kept moving to see
if I could pick up any other species but apart from a couple of small coalies that was it for the evening.

I hope to get updating a bit more than of late now that the weather is picking up slightly and becoming
a little more settled.

I hope you enjoyed the read

Tight lines,

Jay.

3 comments:

  1. Stuning markings on the wee scorpion. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the nicest I've seen mate ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boooootiful Scorpion! I'm not sure if they change colour in breeding season, but I know they can change colour to match the kelp/rocks that they live in. Perhaps this one was living in red kelp...

    ReplyDelete