Sunday, July 29, 2012

A little bit of Ballan....

I headed out on Wednesday to try for some wrasse on the hrf gear hoping for
some nice fish. I hit the mark at around 9 in the morning the sun was high and the water was
crystal clear and flat calm. I rigged up a senko stlyle stick bait texas and began to fish in the various 
gullies and weedbeds around the place trying various retrieves from deadsticking leaving the bait on the 
bottom with an occasinal twitch to a slow retieve along the bottom to see if I could trigger a bite with some small taps i could tell that i was gone too big so a reduction in lure size and hook size was in order.
Size 1 hook and 3inch senko rigged up still small taps but no takes so i rigged up some gulp lugworm in black with blue fleck results were instant with a number of wrasse fallling to this lure 













 By now it was midday so after around 15 fish or so I noticed that the stamp of fish wasnt what I had hoped for wth the biggest being about 2.5lb so it was back to the car for some lunch and rigging up the lrf gear.
I headed back to the water at around 2 or thereabouts with the tide now all but out.
after the luck i had with the gulp earlier in the day it was hard to pull myself away from it and try something else so I decided to start of with some 2" fish fry for ecogear fans they are basically a strawtail imitation or vice versa straight in with a nice little ballan


next couple of casts a nice little corkwing



and another Ballan



All went quite then for an hour or so with the tide bottoming out with just the lrf staple and favourite of mine
the pollock rearing their heads





these fish fight well above their weight and he are great sport on the lrf gear the biggest being around the 1.5lb mark no big fish but great fun

It wasnt long until the ballans began to come back with plenty of shy touches and pick ups where the fish
takes the lure but only the tail and a strike only ends up with the lure snapping back through the water column

I fished on with the gulp fish fry and i was into another ballan as soon as the tide began to push in



the supply of these lures was now low so I switched over to 4'' sandworms with no difference in
takes the fish just kept coming thick and fast 





this one waved and smiled for the camera..




The mark was really exceeding my expectations at this point with over 40 fish landed 
especially with conditions being as they were clear bright and crystal clear water conditions
which i had previously struggled to find a wrasse just goes to show that with angling in general you
never know what can come your way.

By now it was around 6 'o' clock in the evening and it was getting progressively harder to pick up fish
I found a nice gully around 15ft deep and was deadsticking the lure on the bottom when i felt the smallest of taps then all of a sudden the rod doubled and the drag sang I was into a serious fish after a couple of runs it got into the weed and no amount of coaxing was getting it out. I waited for it to move on but it was bedded in and my leader snapped the first bit of tackle loss of the day ....I was gutted not to land it but I now know where the fish lives so I'll be back.

Bites were few now with the tide all but in I continued to try with a few fish including my first ever green wrasse 



the green on its head and eyes was alot more vivid than the photo shows probably my favourite fish of the day.

This however wasnt the end with another few ballans and a couple of corkwings showing face to round off what truly was my best ever day out on the wrasse with my LRF gear












A truly awesome days wrassing the likes of which I have never had with 50 wrasse landed and more bites missed. 
I really hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I have enjoyed writing it and for any LRF doubters
out there I say pick up a rod and give it ago.

Tight lines 

Jay

2 comments:

  1. Jay

    Amazing haul mate thats an awesome day on the Wrasse. Seems a bit hit and miss over this side at the mo with lots of taps and no hook ups. Might have to load up the lrf lures instead of the usual HRF lures as it seemd to have owrked well for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcus it has been that way here too of late, it was just a crazy day the fish were just switched on once i found what they wanted there was no stopping them. I did however notice the lack of bigger fish the biggest of the was prob 2.5lb it was only when i sized right down to size6 hook rigged texas that the fish began to show in numbers..

    ReplyDelete